Gallery Assistant – Summer Position The Dalles Art Center
Summer Position Description: Gallery Assistant
Terms of Employment: Temporary 10-week job starting Tuesday, July 11, 2023, with an opportunity to extend through the end of 2023. Must be able to work through to Saturday, September 16th, 2023. 30 hours per week. Tuesday through Saturday. 11 am – 5 pm with some occasional evening work.
Job Title: Gallery Assistant This job will run the day-to-day operations of The Dalles Art Center’s exhibit & sales gallery as well as support office administrative work. A partial list of duties includes:
Welcome visitors to the Center, daily operations of the store and exhibition space, including such tasks as: sales and customer relations other duties include membership & donation updates, replying to general inquiry emails and phone messages, prepare and coordinate arrangements for the delivery, installation, de-installation of exhibits and opening and/or closing of the gallery.
Specific duties related to exhibits for this position will include:
· communications with organizers (curators) and artists
· preparation of walls (sanding, painting) for display, wall labels (including titles and descriptors), printing of textual materials (artists bios, statements) and assisting with media release preparations
· Strong familiarity with PC computers, Microsoft Word, Excel, Data entry, and online systems and applications
· strong command of oral and written English.
· a positive attitude
· comfortable with standing and with physical work including moving and lifting objects.
· demonstrated ability to organize information and prioritize tasks and projects.
· self-motivated and able to work independently, as part of a team and with volunteers
· retail and gallery experience preferable.
· show initiative and creative thinking!
· strong interest in the arts. Active involvement in the arts is an asset.
· College/University degree not required; fields of related study include Non-profit Administration, Customer Service, Art, Design, or related arts fields.
· Past experience working with the public or in retail sales position an asset.
· Event planning, an asset but not required.
· Website/Social Media knowledge an asset but not required.
Please apply with a cover letter and resume. Applications may be submitted as a single Word document or pdf and emailed with the SUBJECT LINE: GALLERY ASSISTANT APPLICATION to:
Salary: $17 - $20 per hour DOE
Please read about us at www.thedallesartcenter.org and on Facebook.