The Dalles Art Center facility is a designated historic building by the State of Oregon. The building was originally constructed in 1910. This was one of thousands of Carnegie libraries built around the world by the late Andrew Carnegie, a multi-millionaire, founder of US Steel and a widely respectedr philanthropist. The building served as a library until 1966 when The Dalles Wasco-County Public Library moved to its present location at 722 Court Street. Shortly after that move the two-story brick building became the home of The Dalles Art Association. There have been several updates over the years; the most substantial remodel of the downstairs to create the large classroom, a storeroom area, restroom and the installation of the elevator, which made the building handicap accessible. The most recent addition to the Art Center is our new kiln bought with money recieved by a grant from the Oregon Cultural Trust. This kiln is dedicated to the memory of Harriet Langfeldt; a longtime volunteer and board member of The Dalles Art Association.
The Art Center is constantly changing and updating to increase community involvement. Our mission is promoting a love and knowledge of the arts amongst our community and we do so in several ways. Our annual Art Auction connects art lovers and appreciators for a fun evening of food, drink and good art. The annual Summer Art Camp has brought the younger generations in to the gallery to promote the importance of art in children's lives. Our monthly receptions; often held on the first Thursday of every month; give the community and art center members the chance to meet, speak and mingle with featured artist[s].
The Dalles Carnegie Library circa 1910
The Dalles Art Center & Gallery 2010
100 years later